Ponemon Institute and Vertiv provided the results of the 2016 Cost of Data Center Outages study. This version offers the reader an update to previously reports from 2010 and 2013.
The 2016 study reveals the average cost of a data center outage has steadily increased from $505,502 in 2010 to $740,357 today (or a 38 percent net change).
Utilizing activity-based costing, our methods capture information about both direct and indirect costs, including but not limited to the following areas:
- Damage to mission-critical data
- Impact of downtime on organizational productivity
- Damages to equipment and other assets
- Cost to detect and remediate systems and core business processes
- Legal and regulatory impact, including litigation defense cost
- Lost confidence and trust among key stakeholders
- Diminishment of marketplace brand and reputation